Pages

2022/10/01

Create a Circle Image or Any Shape With Inkskape FREE on Windows 11

Knowing the principle of how the app you use executes things is one key to use it productively. Each app has its own way to get things done, a missed small step causes you time. In this free app, 'selection' is the important step.

The test steps - Inkscape 1.2
OS: Windows 11 Home
Download: https://inkscape.org/


1. Download and install the app, then open it.


 Click 'Time to Draw' -> 'New Document'. Then click 'File' -> 'Open...'

 

There is a dialog, I didn't touch anything and clicked 'OK'. I used .jpg image for testing.


 At the left bar, click shape 'circle'. (see the picture above) 


Then draw on the image. I hovered a mouse pointer over the handle, the instruction showed at the bottom saying "...with Ctrl to make a circle".

I saved a document, the message showed. (see the picture below)


I clicked 'OK', the message showed. (see the picture below)


I clicked 'OK', the message showed. (see the picture below)


I clicked 'Close' the dialog showed. (see the picture below)


I clicked 'Save'

I held Ctrl key while dragging it make it circle.


At the left bar, click 'Selection' tool.


Drag a circle to change a location.


2. 'Selection' is the key for this task. Click menu 'Layer' -> 'Layers and Objects...' At the right pane, you will see something like the picture below.


Hold Shift key while clicking items path... and image...


Click menu 'Object' -> 'Clip' -> 'Set Clip'.


That's it, I had a circle image, in fact it's not a circle, it's a rectangle, but the unwanted parts are transparent.


3. Click menu 'File' -> 'Export...'. At the right pane, tab 'Export' shows.


At the bottom of this tab, you can change the name of file and location, set file format to .png then click 'Export'

I dragged the exported file to MS Word, I saw the white horizon line in the image.


So I opened the original image again and compare between a circle shape and a rectangle shape. There was no white line in the rectangle shape.


4. That white line might not happen on your machines. I think it's fine for the FREE app. You can use this method for any shape.


The test steps - Inkscape 1.2
OS: Windows 11 Home
Download: https://inkscape.org/



No comments: