Pages

2022/10/21

GestureSign - Send Actions And Keystorkes with Mouse/Touchpad Gestures FREE on Windows 11

I like sending actions with mouse gestures, touchpad is harder in my case so this article is about mouse gestures on Windows 11.

 

The test steps - GestureSign 8.1.8090.42787
OS: Windows 11 Home
Install: via Microsoft Store


 1. Open Microsoft Store, search GestureSign, click button 'Install'.


 After instlallation is done, click button 'Open'.


 At taskbar, click the arrow, right click at the app icon, click 'Control Panel'

 

 2. There were preset gestures in tab 'Action' that I didn't like so I deleted all of them by selecting a category on the left pane and holding down a shift key and clicke to select gestures.

Then I did a right clicking and selected 'delete'.


At tab 'Ignored', there was a preset one so I removed it.

3. I was looking for setting the button of a mouse to be used, at tab 'Options' I turned 'Mouse Gesture' on.

What I turned off were: 'TouchScreen Gesture' and 'Precision Touchpad Gesture'.

I set 'Draw gesture by holding' to 'Right Button'

Got back to tab 'Action', I started with (Global Actions), clicked a '+' button.


Then clicked 'Click to select a gesture', a new window showed, I held down a right button and drag to the right.

Gave a name of the action, at tab 'Advnaced', you can set the device limit here.


I clicked 'OK' to set the command. Did double clicking at 'New Command', a new windows showed.


Clicked a drop-down menu of 'Select Command', check all of it, I think there are 3 main items: keystrokes/hot keys, mouse actions, system commands (windows management, brightness/volume control etc.)

I Selected 'Send Hot Key' and clicked button 'Ctrl' and typed 's' in the box, then clicked 'Save'.


Don't forget to turn on the action.


I performed a gesture on the active application, Notepad. It worked fine.

The problem was I couldn't use Firefox's add-on, Gesturefy. The cause might be they're using the right click button to perfrom gestures. I decided to use this add-on, so I tried setting the ignored application in GestureSign.

In tag 'Ignored', click '+' button, a new window shows, at 'Match Using', select 'File name'.

Drag and drop the crosshair on the target window.


The name of the target app will show in the box.


If you select 'Title' at 'Match Using', you will get the windows title.

'Ignored' tab helps me use Gesturefy on Firefox.

4. You can disable this app by double clicking its icon. The icon will turn red.


I set gestures for specific application by clicking 'New Application'.


The window that is similar to the process of setting ignored applications appears so I did the same steps. I used a command 'Send Keystrokes', typed text in the box.


I wasn't surprised that it worked but if you use 'X-Mouse Button Control', and set to send actions with holding right click button or whaterver button that is used to perfrom gestures by GestureSign, action is set by 'X-Mouse Button Control' will not work. 


In my case, clicking a right button to show menus in 'Windows Explorer' and the area (see the pictrue below) doesn't work too.

I won't change the things I used to do so I changed a mouse for more buttons to use one of them, not a right button, for this article writting.

I used XButton1. I didn't even know what was the XButton1, until I tested something with Karabiner-Elements (macOS app). For my mouse, XButton1 is the side button near my right thumb. I have 2 buttons at the side, the way to indicate #1 or #2, I just test them.

5. At first, I thought 'Mouse Actions' is the main one, when I clicked to see the details, it is not. 


'Mouse Actions' only allows one action, it's useless for me. I tried a more complex gesture to change volume levels.


The area for setting a gesture is tool small, Gesturefy is better.

Feature request: Showing a label of action name while performing a gesture just like Gesturefy can do. This helps users a lot - they won't miss the right gestures.


The test steps - GestureSign 8.1.8090.42787
OS: Windows 11 Home
Install: via Microsoft Store









No comments: