Pages

2022/11/06

DiskFinder - Free Disk Catalog Program on Windows 11

Video files and other things that you want to back up, can be stored on USB flash drives or external hard drives. Then you need a catalog program to tell you where the files are. Many disk catalog programs make dead men alive. They show files that I've already deleted on Ubuntu (Linux) in the search results. That didn't happen in this freeware so it's worth testing.

 

The test steps - DiskFinder 1.03
OS: Windows 11 Home
Download from developer website: https://www.laurenzvangaalen.nl/software/diskfinder.htm


1. Open the downloaded file.


 The window shows, click 'More info'.


 Click 'Run anyway'

 

Follow the installation steps in a setup wizard.

 


 2. I opened the program and inserted a USB flash drive.


 After the name showed in Windows Explorer, at window of DiskFinder, click 'File' > 'Add...'


 Select a drive and give it a name.

Click 'OK', names of file and folder show in the program window.


I wanted to test 'Filter...' so I started it all over and gave it a name 'movie disk 1'.

'Tools' > 'Filter...'


Typed 'pic' in the box and clicked 'OK'


The disk 'movie disk 1' was hidden in the program window. I typed 'folder1' in the search box and clicked 'Find'.


Only one item showed in the search results.


I deleted catalog filter.clicked 'OK', clicked 'Find'.

I clicked 'OK' then clicked 'Find'. Only one item showed in the search results. I knew right away that I have to select the target disk names first before searching. I held the shift key while clicking to select the disk names then clicked 'Find'.

Two items showed in the search results.

3. I typed 'usb' in the 2nd search box after 'and' and clicked 'Find'


No item in the search results. I replaced 'folder1' with 'lo' in the first search box and clicked 'Find'.


From the search results, I know how 'and' between the search boxes work - find the name that contains 'lo' and 'usb'.

This free app shows only a disk name in the search results, not show a subfolder name. From the picture above, at the search results:

- Item 1 is in folder1 of movie disk 1
- Item 3 is in folder1 of pic disk 1

4. To test menu 'Update..', I deleted a folder 'folder1' in my USB flash drive. Then I selected 'pic disk 1' in the program window.


File > Update...


I selected a disk, at existing catalog file to update, 'pic disk 1' showed. I clicked 'OK'.


I did't know how to back up data, so I opened the program folder to see what I could do. See the path in the picture below.

The size of 'DiskFinder.exe' was 536 KB, I added another disk by using the same flash drive 'SANDISK 16' but the size wasn't changed.


I copied folder 'DiskFinder' to my flash drive and inserted into the machine that Windows 7 is installed to open 'DiskFinder.exe'. When I found out that Windows 7 has already the app installed, I changed my mind and uninstalled the app on Windows 11 with the buit-in 'add or remove programs' feature. Then I inserted my flash drive into the machine that Windows 11 is installed, opened the app from my flash drive, there was no data in the app.

The notification of 'Advanced Uninstalled Pro' showed (see the picture below). There were leftovers after uninstalling the app.

I saw the name of disk I created in that notification, headed to that location (C:\Users\ron\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DiskFinder\Catalogs), all items were there. 


If you don't see the folders, you might need to 'show hidden items' by open 'Windows Explorer', click 'View' > 'Show' > make sure that 'Hidden items' is checked.


I copied folder 'DiskFinder' in my flash drive and pasted to C:\Program Files (x86). The window showed. (see the picture below)

I clicked 'Continue' then opened folder 'DiskFinder' in folder 'Program Files (x86)', opened file 'DiskFinder'.


All my data showed in the program window. That indicates that the app uses and stores files in folder 'Catalogs' (in C:\Users\ron\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\DiskFinder)

I think it's a good idea to add folder 'Catalogs' to 'Quick access' for easy backup.


You have to do double clicking at the name of disk to show items.

To select the uncontinuous items in the disk name list, hold Ctrl key and click to select.


This freeware is so fast cataloging disk. I can not find the way to catalog folder but it's OK for the free app, I won't ask for more.


The test steps - DiskFinder 1.03
OS: Windows 11 Home
Download from developer website: https://www.laurenzvangaalen.nl/software/diskfinder.htm







No comments: