Pages

2022/02/07

Record Screen and Audio For FREE with RecForth - Unlimited Recording, No Watermark, MP4 Output on Windows 11

Some freeware apps come and go, just enjoy while it is free. If you don't like clutter user interface in OBS (https://obsproject.com/), this freeware might be for you.

I downloaded it from Microsoft Store, clean user interface fits in Windows 11.


I tested capturing screen/webcam with audio (microphone and computer audio), output filename scheme, click effect. You can follow the steps below.

The test steps - RecForth 1.0.9.0
OS: Windows 11 Home
Download from developer's website

https://www.ioforth.com/recforth/

1. Open the program, click the gear icon. In the settings window at the left pane, go to 'General', turn on 'Minimize when recording starts'

2. Go to 'Recording' section to set countdown, output folder and file name template


3. Go to 'Hotkeys' section to set Global hotkeys, I could not use modifier keys. It allows me to use one key only, so I decided not to use hotkeys because there would be a key conflict while recording a screen.

4. Go to 'Video' section to set output video resolution to 100%.

I set frames per second to 25 (default), video quality to 77 (greater than default)

5. Go to 'Webcam' section, turn on 'Record with webcam', set the location.



6. Go to 'Pointer' section, turn on 'Capture pointer' and 'Show click effects'

7. Go to 'Audio' section, turn on 'Speakers' and 'Microphone', close the setttings window and click 'Screen' (full screen) then click 'Record'.


8. I played audio to test computer audio recording, played sound from mobile phone to test microphone recording, did typing, left/right click. To stop recording, I clicked the arrow at taskbar -> click the program icon -> the small window showed. Be careful the floating window of webcam might cover this window, to avoid this, do not place the RecForth window at the corner of the screen before recording from webcam.

9. At the small window of the program, I clicked a stop button. The new window showed but there was no recorded video. I did some tests and found out that the output filename I set was the problem. I'm not allowed to use colons in the filename, so I changed it (picture below).

There is a recorded video in the folder but when I played it, it's all black. Rebooting the computer came to my mind, I did it.

10. This time, the output was I expected. The video recorded with webcam is on the left corner.


The audio from computer and microphone was recorded. Click effects showed as I set in the settings.



11. I think the full screen recording is enough but I did area recording test for the sake of software quality testing. When 'Area' icon is clicked, there are 2 options - rectangle and window. I clicked 'Rectangle' then dragged to create an area.

12. You can move and resize that area. I clicked 'Rec' button.

 

While recording, I clicked a camera icon to take a screenshot. There was no error on the process.

The test steps - RecForth 1.0.9.0
OS: Windows 11 Home
Download from developer's website

https://www.ioforth.com/recforth/






No comments: